Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Drag Show




Tonight, May 31 at 8 pm there was a Drag Show put on in the Coates Esplanade. The audience was told to bring money to buy t-shirts, given free condoms, and told to bring one dollar bills to give to the performers as they danced. All of the procedes were given to the AIDS foundation in San Antonio. The t-shirts appealed to every sex and so did the performances. Many straight people were pulled on stage or volunteered to partake in the crazy events and demonstrations. In one of the demonstrations two guys and a girl competed in puttin a condom on a banana. Although these antics can be seen as controversial and of bad taste, I believe this is a great way to go about promoting positive actions,. especially awareness. This show was specifically made in purpose of gaining awareness of AIDS and other illnesses that are rampant in the gay and even straight community. Although this was controversial, i loved it. I felt that it got every kind of person involved. There were Kappas, Zeta Chi's, lesbians, straights, Gammas, independents, teachers, and a variety of many other people who i never thought I would see at an event such as that. I was somewhat worried that it would be a distasteful event and that I would walk away disappointed and asking myself what the heck just happened. And even though I walked away with a little less change in my pocket, I exchanged it for a t-shirt, information in the issue, and most importantly, more knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment