Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Martin Luther King,Jr. March


This is a letter I wrote to my family the day of the march. I wanted to share my experience and write down my feelings at that time so that I will always be able to look back and remember exactly how I felt and how liberating the experience was.

"Today, Monday, January 19, 2009 my friends and I woke up at 7:30 am to prepare for the biggest Martin Luther King March in San Antonio, actually the biggest in the nation. It had over 200,000 people marching, ranging from sororities to frats to churches to different unique groups. It was truly an amazing experience. It was very eye opening and intriguing. I couldn’t believe how inspiring it was. Of course there were the ignorant people carrying around Black Power signs which was truly disappointing since the march, day, and experience was supposed to be devoted and dedicated to equality and how far we have come since that era of ignorance. Through the Black Power signs, the man was just holding onto the past instead of breaking through to the future to contribute to "Change" which is what "the Dream" is all about. With so many different people from all over the nation and from all different backgrounds uniting together for this movement and to represent the future, I felt very proud to be an American and felt as if I was living up to the American Dream Dr. King dreamed about, yet never lived to see. Being there simply felt as if it were a dream. Over 200,000 people gathered on the East Side of San Antonio simply to honor the actions of the past and support change for the future. It was extremely breathtaking and the most significant moment in my life so far. I took over 230 pictures and will be sending copies to my parents and on email so hopefully I will be able to show everyone very soon. But even when I am able to download the pictures, the experience itself will never be able to be retold through pictures or words. But even as that is true, I will continue to spread the word and look forward to the future so that generations to come will never forget and can realize that it’s a lie that one person can't make a difference and impact the world. Look at Martin Luther King Jr., Nelson Mandela, President-Elect Barack Obama (now President Obama!)...all taking one step at a time...beginning where the other person ended...continuing taking steps forward to make the dream become a reality. This was honestly the most inspiring moment and event I have been involved in within my lifetime so far and I cannot wait to make history in the future...because what I was involved in today, will make..No, I mean IS history in the making. And what will happen tomorrow, January 20th, 2009 at 11:30 am will forever be remembered as the moment that made history. No one thought they would see this day, especially the older generations. Seeing their shock and awe yet support and hope brings tears to my eyes and makes me proud of how far we have come as a people, even though we still have a long way to go. Although this definitely does not prove race is no longer an issue in this country, it does prove that the world has come to realize that it is time for a change, time to do more than just hope...time to take action. "He had a dream, we made it to the mountain top...Now the true journey begins.” This was a quote one of the pickets at the march, and it couldn't have been put any better. Peace, Love, and Hope."

Although I can't believe how many people went, it was more surprising how many students did not go and did not take advantage of this opportunity. But all I know is it has been one of the most invigorating experiences in my life so far, and I am very grateful to have been able to take part in this with my friends and with my fellow Trinity students.

No comments:

Post a Comment